The Bagrati Cathedral
Sometimes simply called Bagrati. Formally, the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin. One of the largest churches in Georgia and one of the most important for its historical role. It stood for three hundred years in a ruined state and in August 2012 wasrestored, despite the protests of the patriarch and discontent of private individuals. The main attraction of the city of Kutaisi, even after the restoration.
The Church of the Great Martyrs – Motsameta – is located 6 kilometers east of Kutaisi, in the valley of the Tskhaltsitela River. The history of founding the monastery is connected with the names of the dukes of Argveti – David and Constantine Mkheidze. The brothers were executed for their devotion to the Christian faith by the Arab military leader Murvan Kru (Murvan the Deaf), who invaded Georgia in 736-738.
For the heroic and martyr’s death, the church raised the brothers to the rank of saints. Their holy relics originally rested in the destroyed Reverence Church. In the 11th century, Bagrat III rebuilt the church and reburied the remains of the martyrs inside it. In 1844-65, under the direction of the Kutaisi bishop David Tsereteli, the church was repaired and enlarged, it was at this time that the dome was placed, the stone floor was laid, the iconostasis was renovated. In 1923, the Bolsheviks closed the church, took the relics of the saints from the tombs and threw them into the river. Local residents were able to get the holy relics out of the water and moved to the Kutaisi Museum. The church of Motsameta became operational again in 1954, and during the same year the relics of Saint David and Constantine were transferred again from the Kutais Museum to the church. The day of the Holy Martyrs is celebrated on October 15.
The Gelati Monastery
Formally belongs to the Tkibuli municipality, although it is often written that he is in Kutaisi. The monastery belongs to the Kutaisi-Gaenat diocese, and its temple is the cathedral church of this diocese.
Gelati is built on a high cool place, it has a good view of the district and of the distant Racha-Lechkhum mountains. In general, the monastery is a large temple of the Birth of the Mother of God of the 12th century, and two other temples date back to the 13th century. Nearby there are located the belfry, Academy, several other buildings and two arches of the gate. Everything is enclosed by a wall, the entrance is free.
The Prometheus Cave
The cave of Prometheus, formerly known among speleologists as the cave of Kumistavi, is located on the outskirts of the city of Tskaltubo, relatively close to Kutaisi. It is one of the main sights of Imereti, and the largest cave in Georgia. This cave is absolutely unrealistic and great, and although only a tenth of it is open to tourists, it is still huge and a walk takes about an hour. It is very close to the Sataplia cave, so the two can be combined.
The reserve of Sataplia is located 6 km to the north-west from Kutaisi. The protected area is covered with beautiful forests, the area of which is about 500 hectares. On the territory of the reserve you can also see the surviving traces of dinosaurs, take a trip to the karst cave, walk through the glass platform and admire the panorama, which means, experience some amazing adventures.